Saturday 20 August 2011

3 for 2 - It would be wrong not to take them up on the offer!

So once again the tempting offers in Waterstones have lead me into the web of book buying. Despite having quite possibly 50 books on my to read list, I felt the need to purchase a further three. I planned on just browsing my favourite old haunt during a trip to Southampton. The Titanic style staircase and olde worlde atmosphere there are so much more enchanting then in the Worcester branch. But I was reminded by my companion the dear Miss R of the Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. I book which I have been desperate to get my hands on since it was recommended to me by Miss J. (And yes I will continue to refer to people in this Jane Austen manner in order to preserve their privacy and in some cases modesty!) This book however had the dreaded 3 for 2 sticker, so I knew I was doomed. I had to buy 3 books.

So today's purchases (and possibly reads in about 2 years time at this rate) were:

Doris Lessing : The Golden Notebook
The Golden Notebook was published in 1962 and is the story of Anna Wulf, a divorced single mother and novelist, labouring against writer's block in 1950s London. Fearful of going mad, she records her experiences in four coloured notebooks. The black notebook records her writing life, the red her political views, the yellow notebook her emotional life and the blue everyday events. But it is the fifth notebook- the golden notebook- that brings the strands of her life together and holds the key to recovery.


This book appealed to me not only due to the Psychological aspect which fits in with my studies at the moment, but also the setting. Since getting into Mad Men about a year or so ago, I have been fascinated by the 1950s/1960s and the ideas surrounding the development of women's political, social and psychological identities.

Anno Dracula by Mr Kim Newman


It is 1888 and Queen Victoria has remarried, taking as her consort the Wallachian Prince infamously known as Count Dracula. His polluted bloodline spreads through London as its citizens choose to become vampires. In the grim backstreets of Whitechapel, a killer known as 'Silver Knife' is cutting down vampire girls. Two young vampires are drawn together as they both hunt the sadistic killer, bringing them ever closer to England's most bloodthirsty ruler yet.

This combines my love of history, vampire folklore and the Jack the Ripper mystery together it what looks like a ripping yarn from the horror movie reviewer for Empire magazine.


My Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin


Cora Cash, possibly the wealthiest heiress in 1890's America has been raised to believe that money will open every door to her. But when her mother whisks her to England to secure her an aristocratic match, Cora is dismayed by the welcome she receives. The great houses in which she is entertained are frosty and forbidding, dogged by intrigue above stairs and gossip below. And it is only when she loses her heart- to a man she barely knows- that Cora realises the game she is playing is one she does not fully understand, and that her own future happiness could be the prize.

You can't beat a good romantic historical novel! Can't wait to read this one curled up on the sofa with a nice glass of wine!


If any of you have read these I would love to know your views, or if you have been inspired by the book summaries above and fancy going out and getting yourself a copy, let me know and perhaps we can read them at the same time!

Hope you are all well guys and let me know what has been tempting you to part with your money on the book front!

No comments:

Post a Comment